Location: 3650 Maizeland Rd, Colorado Springs, CO 80909
Hours: 6:00 AM – 9:00 PM
Amenities: Palmer Park is a recreation paradise in the center of Colorado Springs. At 730.7 acres in size, the park contains over 25 miles of rocky, hardpacked dirt trails for horseback riding, mountain biking, and hiking. Trails are generally single track, but there are also double track trails and dirt roads. The park features two baseball/softball fields, playground, football/soccer field, horse stables, restrooms, scenic drive and overlook, picnic area, botanical reserve, Seven Castles geological point of interest, three volleyball courts, dog park and off leash dog area. Go-to park for mountain bikers, hikers, dog walkers and family picnics!
History: The area that is now Palmer Park was once owned by Matt France, the earliest recorded owner. In 1873, France sold his property to Henry Austin who used this property to raise sheep. The general area became known as Austin Bluffs.
In 1902, William Jackson Palmer the founder of Colorado Springs, donated the 692 acres to Colorado Springs for the park. It was one of many parks established due to land donations by Palmer. He improved the roads to the park, Paseo Drive and Palmer Park Boulevard.