TOSC Gives a Poo - do you?
Warning – This is a nasty discussion
why is dog poop harmful?
- Dog Poo contain bacteria harmful to all animals- the same bacteria that human have.
- Bacteria from Dog Poo finds its way into the rivers and lakes and can cause cholera or dysentery.
- Bacteria from Dog Poo grows in water and reduces the amount of oxygen for fish.
- Dog waste is estimated to cause between 20-30 % of stream pollution.
- Just two to three days of waste from 100 dogs can contribute enough bacteria, nitrogen and phosphorous to close 20 miles of a bay-watershed to swimming and shellfishing, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Picking up your dog’s waste isn’t just a common courtesy, it’s a health issue!
Picking up after your dog helps reduce the likelihood of its fecal bacteria ending up in an increasingly contaminated water supply. Considering dog feces are common carriers of nasty things like heartworms, whipworms, hookworms, roundworms, tapeworms, parvovirus, giardia, salmonella, and E. coli, it’s pretty important to clean up after your dog!